Saturday 7 November 2009

So . . . WHAT'S it all about????

On May 20th 2008 I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma after a 5 day stay in Glan Clwyd Hospital. I was quickly placed on chemotherapy and received my first chemo session on June 13th 2008. If you are interested in my treatment regime and what me and my family went through over 2008 please head on over to the 'Road to Recovery' Facebook Group and join to read all about it. It was tough but I had youth on my side and thanks to great care at Glan Clwyd and an amazingly loving and supportive wife and family we made it through and i have now been in remission since January 2009.

Now, I am keen to give something back to charity and the Lymphoma Association do a huge amount of great work supporting those with Lymphoma and raising awareness about the 6th most common form of cancer in the UK. Their information leaflets and website were a source of easily understandable information about my cancer and i always knew they could provide me with support if i needed it.

My great friends Tony and Ruth Greentree, along with their family, coined the name 'Marti-thon' when they all entered races in the Robin Hood Marathon 2008, Tony running the full marathon and raising over £1200 in the process. He's now agreed to hand over the rights to me for 'Marti-thon' for 2010!

Having umm'd and ahh'd over the perfect challenge to say 'we're back' and still with a massive shortlist, Sally suggested I do 8 challenges, 1 for each chemo session i had. So here it is, Marti-thon 2010. 8 challenges, 1 year and one massive fundraising effort. It is my hope that together, we can raise £5000 to support the great work of the Lymphoma Association.

November 7th 2009
-
The 'Hair Raising Challenge'
While most people shave their heads for cancer charities, and as I've been wet shaving my head since 2003, i will be GROWING mine (what little greying remains i have left) - could be confusing for those who've known me for less than 6 years! The date of this first challenge is exactly ONE YEAR since my final chemo. . .

February 21st 2010
The 'Bouncy Challenge'
I will be jumping 160ft off Middlesborough Transport Bridge attached to a bungy cord that is hopefully slightly shorter than 160ft. . . .

March 27th 2010 -
The 'Cliff Top Challenge'
This is part of the Endurance Life Coastal Series and I will be doing the Half Marathon along the stunning Pembrokeshire Coastal path. . . . . feel the burn

May 9th 2010 -
The 'Birthday Challenge'
Yes it's actually my 35th birthday and to celebrate still being around i'll be doing my first proper Triathlon distance, the Harlech Sprint Triathlon. 400m swim, 30km bike, 5km run - simple?!

June 2010 - (final date tbc)
The 'Coast to Coast Challenge'
I'll be taking part in the Lymphoma Associations annual coast to coast bike ride from the North West to the North East Coast of England over 3 days.

July 10/11th 2010 -
The 'Mountain Challenge'
A North Wales legend, 'The 15 Peaks' involving climbing the 15 peaks in Snowdonia over 3000ft, all in 24 hours!!!! - Officially it's the 14 peaks, but they found a spare! Hoping to rope in 4 or 5 chums on this one ;o)

August 14th 2010 (tbc) -
The 'Wedded Bliss Challenge.'
To mark our battle as a team against my cancer my wonderful wife Sally and I will be fulfilling a life time ambition by taking part in a tandem Skydive - NOT I hasten to add, attached to each other!!

September 12th 2010
The 'BIG Challenge'
One of the things that started all this business off was my desire to do a real physical challenge to act as a training goal and a true mark of my return to full strength. It's been an ambition of mine to compete in a standard (Olympic) distance Triathlon since i ran a half marathon back in 2006. The BALA Triathlon involves a 1600m open water swim, 40km bike and 10km run (that's about a mile, about 25 miles and about 6.5 miles in old money)

Is that it. . . . ?
Well, I honestly don't know, there may be other events I take part in simply because they fit with my training programme or in order to publicise the Marti-thon more widely. . . so who knows? - you may find me sitting in a bath of baked beans or indulging in a spot of endurance juggling near you . . . . .
The only way you can really keep up to date is through THIS blog or via Twitter or Facebook

Keep checking back for regular updates and PLEASE use the DONATE link on this page to donate using your credit/ debit card using the Just Giving site you can donate in one go or a bit for each challenge, it's up to you!

4 comments:

  1. Now then my Juggling Master<

    I have been waiting in anticipation for this post, and may i say it has not dissapointed!!
    I am awe inspired by what your doing, and if i may, would like to offer myself as a passenger on your journey for any of the challenges, and hopefully raise some funds this side of the country for the Lymphoma Association, for their help in returning a complete barm pot to his true bonkers status!!!

    I await in anticipation ( again!!)

    Andy (of Andy Em & Keo) ;-)


    PS. Truly dig the T Shirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there my juggling Mentor!!

    Just read up on what you have planned for next year, and may i say, as always awe inspired!!

    I would love to offer my services as a passenger along any of your challenges, especially the mountains and Tri's, probably not the sky dive as three could be a crowd!!;-)

    Seriously though, what you are planning to do is inspiring to anyone, and being a part of that would be truly amazing.

    Hopefully i will be able to raise some funds for the marti-thon on this side of the country in the process, for a great charity that has restored a truly tonto person to his bonkers best!!

    I await in anticipation (again!!)

    Andy (of Andy Em and Keo)

    PS Truly love the T Shirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Done King-Sheards!!! we will be with you every step of the way!!! love always, the Greentrees!!! xxxxxxx :}>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fantastic Marty-thong. I hope you're thong doesn't get worn out during all the running ;)

    Well done mt friend, YOU ROCK!!

    Good luck on your mission, PEachi x

    ReplyDelete