Wednesday 17 March 2010

Onwards and (downwards) Pembrokeshire . . . Ho!!!!!!


So, challenge number 2 out of the way, all eyes turn to number 3, the Pembrokeshire Half Marathon. If you look at the picture above it shows the elevation profile of what i've let myself in for . . . . this is NOT an easy 13.1 miles!!

Training is going well, i ran 11 miles two weekends ago with Manu, much of which was over the Prestatyn hillside to give me plenty of off-road time and lots of ascent/ descent. I felt particularly good the next day with only minor aches and completed the distance in 2 hours. This puts me, hopefully, on course for a 2'20" half which is the course average. If i get near that i'll be really happy, my previous half marathon was the Robin Hood in 2006 where i completed the course in 1'57". Of course that was on a flat course, the course record for Pembrokeshire is 1'39" which empasises how seriously tough this half marathon is! I was also pleased to go out on a training run last weekend with my sister-in-law Karen, who is training for the London Marathon. We managed 10 miles around St Albans and the Verilamium which was a good run for me but probably a walk in the park for her!


My good friend Manu, of the Bodnant Curry Dads, is joining me so we will be travelling down to Pembroke Dock on Friday 26th to register and are staying overnight in the Travelodge there. The half marathon heads out from Little Haven at 1030 and takes in the delights of the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path to Marloes Sands - one of the finest bits of coastline in the UK (in my humble opinion!). The google map above shows the course in full.

Hoping to get one more long hilly run in this week then it's short runs for the next 10 days just to keep me ticking over. £1000 raised so far so please sponsor me if you haven't already - especially if you want to see me don my sexy Lymphoma Association (flowery) running vest!!!

Once again. thanks for all your support, if you haven't sponsored me yet please use the link on the right to donate to the lymphoma association or go to www.justgiving.com/marti-thon2010

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment